Monday, July 2, 2012

More Kitchen Fun

I do realize that I have missed a few days but any successful person will tell you that is no time to quit. That's the time to get back up and keep going. So here I go again.

As I have been working on my cookbook I have been trying out new recipes and trying to cook new things. I've even been a little inventive in trying to stretch out our meals or not follow a recipe exactly. One that ended up working out nicely was our pita pizzas. After our Chicken pita flop last weekend we used the leftover pitas for some tomato, basil, pita pizzas and they were really good. And I just have to say that I think I love pesto. You know how some people could say ketchup makes everything better. Well, I think pesto does!



I tried a peach pork chop recipe as well. The picture didn't turn out well and neither did the recipe so I threw that one out. However the couscous I made with it was really good and I will definitely have to make that again. So simple to make as well.

This Sunday I tried my hand at a good ole' comfort food: Fried chicken, mac n cheese, potato salad and apple pie. I cheated. The potato salad and apple pie were store bought mainly because they were on sale and way less work. However, I did make homemade mac and cheese for the first time and fried my first chicken. Again, I wimped out a little because I have this thing with splattering oil. The thing is, I really don't like it. I don't like anything that burns just deciding to jump out at me whenever it gets the inkling. It's a fear I know I will have to conquer in order to further expand my culinary horizons, but Sunday wasn't the day for me to do it, apparently. So I made fried chicken in the oven.



However, I will say that for a first attempt it was rather good. The chicken was rather bland and it definitely needed more coating and seasoning but it was very tender. The mac and cheese came out well and there was plenty enough for leftovers. So I'd say it was a mild success. Maybe next time I'll do it the right way. Do they make pot holders that are like gloves that cover your hands and arms to your shoulders? If I had that and maybe one of those helmet mask combos like torch workers wear I think I'd be all set.


2 comments:

  1. http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/510735-Pesto_Ranch_Cheesy_Pasta_Bake

    Check out this recipe using pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds nice and simple. May have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete