Monday, September 10, 2012

"Sisterchick" Adventure

I am not typically spontaneous. What John and I have dubbed as the perfect description of how I like things is planned spontaneity. I am ok with being spontaneous as long as I have planned for it. I know that's an oxymoron but it really does make some sense.

All that to say that when I called my husband on Friday to make sure it would be ok if I did something spontaneous he was very surprised. He was also all for it. I was reading one of my favorite blogs this Friday, Moneysavingmom.com, which you should totally check out if you haven't, and saw that she was going to be speaking at this Living Well Women's Expo in Bloomington, IL, this Saturday. My initial thought was that it was too far a drive. But after doing the math as far as mileage goes I figured if someone came with me and we split the gas it would be a relatively inexpensive trip. I even thought about going by myself.

I convinced my sister to come with me and bright and early Saturday morning we headed out. It was a really beautiful day and the drive was smooth and uneventful both ways. We made great time and got in as they opened. Right away we were racking up the samples left and right and entering raffles of all sorts at all the booths and for door prizes. We had seen 75% of the expo by the time Crystal (Moneysavingmom) got up to speak. So we plopped down and listened to 25 Tips on How to Cut your Grocery Bill Without Using Coupons. Most of it was stuff I had read before and some that I have implemented, but it's always good to be reminded of it. We stood in line to to meet her afterwards and that was pretty cool. She is so very down to earth and I am inspired by her story.

While in line to meet up with Crystal they started giving away some door prizes. The first name called was my sisters. She was standing right next to the announcer so that was convenient and she won a $50 bed, bath and beyond gift card. Not bad. Definitely made the trip worth it for her. After our "celebrity" meeting we finished going through the expo and collecting up all the free samples we could handle. We were just about done and on the way out when they started giving away more door prizes so we decided to wait around and listen, just in case. I am so glad we did, because the next name called was Becky Cox. So I had to race all the way back to where we were and I won $50 worth of product from Thirty-One. They make tote bags of all sorts. The lady there was gracious enough to let me take a catalog and decide at home. This was a godsend for indecisive me. So I will have my bag shipped to me soon.

So all in all, I would say that it was a wonderful adventure. The weather was perfect. I got to hang with my sis and chat. I got to meet my favorite blogger. I received tons of samples and won a free bag. I may have to give this spontaneity thing another chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment