Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: In the Garden of the Beasts

In the Garden of the Beasts
by Erik Larson



This book retold the story of the American Ambassador and his family in Berlin at the time of Hitler’s rise to power. It was so interesting to see history come alive through the perspective of this family and their everyday life. Ironically, the Ambassador, not a politician, was eventually able to see the situation for what it was more clearly than anyone else and he was not afraid to speak his mind when needed.

It was difficult to read about all the atrocities committed against Jews and civilians alike. The book doesn’t go into great detail in the specifics of the crimes committed, but it doesn’t need to. We have all learned that in history class. How Germany was able to get away with what they were doing for so long seems unbelievable to me and reminds me why politics and I do not get along.

I have no interest in putting up with injustice in the name of “good relations.” That doesn’t mean I think we should declare war on every nation that does things I don’t agree with, but it does meant that I don’t think we should condone what they do as right by doing business with them and acting cordial. It really reminds me of situations going on in the present day. There are so many nations perpetrating crimes against humanity, denying basic human rights and persecuting certain people groups for one reason or another. Why does the world stand by and watch? Why do we condone it? You may think we don’t, but if we supply money, aid and business to the leaders of the nations where this is allowed to go on with no change then we do. There needs to be consequences for not playing by the rules and I just don’t see that happening.

But back to the book…it’s a great read. I love the way Larson writes. This is the 4th book I’ve read of his and I have not been disappointed yet. And I have to say thank you to him for helping me enjoy history like no teacher or textbook has yet been able to help me do.

No comments:

Post a Comment