Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Book Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

Do not read this book unless you have a really strong stomach, and even then, I can't say that I would recommend it. Yes..it is a good thriller. It does keep you guessing and wanting to unravel the mystery. However, that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

There's alot of sex and violence and often together. It's very graphic and there are things I wish I had never read. This surprised me somewhat because I've read some pretty violent and psychopathic books by Ted Dekker. What I think makes the difference is that Dekker's books have a redeeming quality. There is a reason, there is hope. This book did not have that hope. It's depressing and so awfully sad that I wanted to cry at every turn. The characters are so depraved and selfish. I could not relate to many of them.

Needless to say, I would strongly caution against the movie. I haven't seen it, but I can't imagine wanting to see this book come alive, I didn't even like it flat on the page. Please, save yourself the trouble on this one and let your mind dwell on more wholesome things.

3 comments:

  1. yea, i had seen one of the main actresses in the movie being interviewed while i was at the gym weeks ago and it sparked a curiosity to look into what the movie was about. within reading a few paragraphs of the review, i felt a strong sense to stay away from delving further into the book/movie. I hope you forget alot of the yucky stuff you read. o such a picture of depraved humanity and how much Jesus needed to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the series. It was violent, sexual, and very un-Christian, but I went into it knowing it wasn't. LOL. I don't want to give anything away about the rest of the books, but it shows how a government will do anything to protect itself, without the thought or considerations of its citizens. The Swedish government made Lisbeth into what she was, they didn't help a troubled child but looked into their own interests. The last book is very interesting. I don't recommend the American version of the movie. The Swedish version was ok.

    ReplyDelete