Friday, October 5, 2012

What Constitutes a Bible?

I was recently looking through the magazine of a Christian bookstore and I was taken aback by all the varieties of "Bibles." I put that in quotation marks because I am not so sure that all that was in that section should be labeled as such. There were 3 page spreads of "Bibles." Yes, I am sure the content of the bible was all there, but so much additional stuff was there too. Here is list of some of the titles:

1. Spiritual Warfare Bible
2. The Story
3. Every Man's Bible
4. The Way
5. Gaither Homecoming Bible
6. Everyday Matters Bible for Women
7. The Voice Bible
8. The Message//Remix: The Bible in Contemporary Language
9. The Quickview Bible
10. The Books of the Bible
11. Life Journey Bible
12. Game Plan for Life Bible
13. Heaven's Holy Bible
14. Boys Bible
15. Faithgirlz! Bible
16. Adventure Bible
17. Shiny Sequin Bible
18. Rock Solid Faith Study Bible for Teens
19. Revolution: The Bible for Teen Guys
20. True Images: The Bible for Teen Girls

I did not include the various Study bibles or versions of the bible. These are 20 titles in various versions with titles and descriptions that make me wonder if we aren't a little off our rockers. Don't get me wrong. The Bible is a great book and I wish everyone owned one and read it. But let's not confuse what the Bible is and what it's purpose is. 

The Bible is the Word of God. "All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17. From this verse and many others I am definitely under the impression and belief that God's Word alone is sufficient for all things. 

Don't get me wrong, teaching has it's place. I love reading devotionals and books that better help me understand the bible. I love hearing sermons that dig deeper into scriptures and teach me the background that I just don't know. However, devotionals and sermons and songs and thoughts by man do not belong inside a book labeled a Bible. To me, that is like saying that God's word simply isn't enough. "The bible is not sufficient for giving instructions on spiritual warfare. Men and women need a different version as do teen girls and boys, and lets not forget about changing the words and interpretation to reach a wider audience." It's kind of scary.

I don't believe the Bible is a book that needs to be "marketed." It stands on it's own and will always be a best seller even if it looked as boring and plain as a piece of bread. It's not the cover or the "extras" that drive people to buy this book. It is the Living Words. Let us not confused God's Word with man's words. 

If you have one of these bibles, no worries. I have had many different varieties growing up as well. I'm not saying it's wrong to have one. I am more concerned about the companies churning them out for profit. I am also just saying to be wary of placing importance upon contents of a book labeled a Bible. Make sure you are getting what you paid for!




No comments:

Post a Comment