Monday, October 15, 2012

The Week of the Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti Squash Gratin
photo courtesy of Everyday Food
This past week we had spaghetti squash for dinner. Spaghetti squash gratin - monday & tuesday. Spaghetti squash spaghetti - wed & thursday. I'm just happy we liked it because I decided to go all out. I have maybe eaten spaghetti squash once before and never cooked it before, but as I am trying to not be afraid of any foods in the kitchen this looked like one I thought I would like to try my hand at.

Our favorite produce store, Valli Produce, had the spaghetti squash on sale for .29/lb. So I bought two which cost me just about $2. Not bad. I followed instructions from Everyday Food to roast the squash in the oven and then proceeded to scrape all the stringy squash out into a giant bowl. I read that you could keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days, so I made it all on a Sunday night and then cooked 1/2 Monday and 1/2 Wednesday. That worked out wonderfully.

So the first recipe was the Spaghetti Squash Gratin
It was yummy, but the squash still tasted a little too sweet for my liking. I'm not  a big squash person per say. I did like the sauce though and may try to make it again with rice or pasta.

Second meal was not really a recipe at all, and I forgot to take a picture but it was just spaghetti squash mixed with spaghetti sauce and spices. That I really liked. It had almost a creamy texture and was not sweet at all. I would definitely eat that again.

The verdict is in and spaghetti squash, when in season, on sale, will become a part of the rotation. Definitely a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment