Thursday, October 11, 2012

Weak Vessels

The Francis Chan talk was super convicting and yet assuring because God was re-affirming some things I've been struggling with and He gave me confirmation and answers to some of my recent prayers. I'm sure there will be much more to come on some of those thoughts as time goes on.

But one thing I took away was a reminder of how weak I feel. I feel like that picture of broken pottery. I am a weak vessel. I have chips, cracks and deem myself unfit for any real service.

The problem is, it's not my call. I can't shelve myself. I am just the vessel. If God wants to "shelve" me that's his call. But if He wants to use me, weak and broken as I am, who am I to say no. I do, but I shouldn't. I am the one who says, "But God, look at that other vessel. They are shiny and new and much better fit for service than I am.  I will break, I will spill, haven't you seen me?"

But that's the whole point. What good would it be if God chose the best and most qualified people for his kingdom or kingdom work. That would just show that you have to be something in this world in order for God to notice you. That gives man all the glory. Instead "God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of this world to shame the strong."1 Corinthians 1:27 God picks who he uses, the weak, the ordinary, and then God gets all the glory. "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 2 Corinthians 4:7

This is comforting and wonderful news that God can use me if I let Him. That I don't have to "be" somebody to enter his kingdom. But it's still hard, because I still feel so inadequate. I really need to trust that God will be my strength in weakness and will supply me with everything I need to do the work He has called me to. I feel a little rusty, but maybe a little use is all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment